ADVERTISEMENT

Week 5 - Where I'm going. . . .

Gridiron Arizona

Aug 19, 2015
We hit the midway point of the Arizona high school football season this week (even though it's supposed to hit 109 Friday!). It's been 14 years since I've done a game at Mesa High. How long ago was that, the winning quarterback that night was Brett Hundley of Chandler. Time to change that as the Jackrabbits host Casteel.

Casteel (2-2) is averaging 33 points per game. It's a balanced and powerful offense for the Colts led by QB Paul Palmer (13 TDs 0 INT), who was the most experienced returner in the CUSD at the position. On the ground, it's newcomer Isaiah Linyear, a transfer from New York. Linyear had his 2nd 100-yard game in a 45-6 win over Mountain Ridge last week. The Colts only 2 losses have come by 1 and 7 points.

Mesa (2-2) has rebounded from an 0-2 start to pull back even. QB Adrik Reed is a dual-threat with 5 TD passes and is also the Jackrabbits rushing leader with 186 yards. Griffin Yamamoto is a 2-way player for MHS, who has started on varsity since his freshman year. He leads the team in receiving and also plays safety. Mesa outscored district foes Skyline and Dobson 90-14 over the past 2 weeks. Are the 'Rabbits ready for the CUSD? I'll be on hand to find out as Mesa closes in on 700 wins in its illustrious history (MHS is currently at 695).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.