ADVERTISEMENT

Philanthropy and High School Sports

scott_az

Legend Poster
Dec 9, 2001
www.cr-az.com
I've been thinking about rich schools versus poor schools since Gilbert Christian won the state basketball championship last week. In my opinion, I had felt GC essentially bought the trophy because the school is affiliated with some folks who have a lot of money. These rich folks were able to craft a top-notch club team that is basically part of the school since the club team (AZ Power) uses the school facilities.

Even though many of the kids who participate in the Power program attend other schools, the Power provides enough athletes to GC to make them a powerhouse. The Power program originated a couple years ago when the fathers of some players funded the club so their sons could play summer ball together. The dads did the structuring using high-level business acumen and made all the right decisions by hiring very competent trainers to work with the kids. These trainers teach kids to play the game the "right way."

I am not a rich man, but I'm not poor either. My middle-class status enables me to see things somewhere in the middle. I respect the rights of the rich to enjoy the fruits of their labors but I'm also very sympathetic to the needs of the poor. In a perfect world, everyone would have the same opportunities for success, comfort and the enjoyment of life. But we do not live in a utopian world.

As I try to balance the needs and rights of the rich and poor, I really, really struggle and to find some clarity I often rely on the laws of nature. One of the examples I often analogize is that of the plight of a bird...specifically the mother and baby birds. If momma bird doesn't go out every day working her ass off to find worms and insects, baby birds die of starvation. Or if a hawk catches momma bird while she's out on a food excursion, there's no momma anymore to feed the young, and they die. Who ever said the world is fair?

So using this anology over the years has brought me to conclude the United States is dying a slow and painful death by starvation due to decades of entitlement mentality. The fairytale of Robin Hood stealing from the rich to benefit the poor is a sick fantasy. The redistribution of wealth is a communist theory that has never worked in the history of mankind.

Our American society has become so ill and misguided that a very high percentage of the population has discovered that it's more profitable and a whole lot less work to feed off welfare benefits and other social programs. This way of life has fostered entitlement behaviors that are choking society to death. How can the government fund our schools and maintain our roadways when it's feeding half the country?

Our entitlement mentality has become so pervasive it's creating a divide between the rich and poor like no time in our country's history. One only needs to contrast a school like Chaparral that's filthy rich and a school like Carl Hayden that's dirt poor. Carl Hayden couldn't even field a football team a few years ago while Chaparral players train in NFL quality facilities.

So, how do we make sense of this conundrum?

More to follow...................In the meantime, check out this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRRwZDSmTVI

Welfare entitlement

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News