Where in the Valley is Gridiron going? - Week 9

Discussion in 'The Gridiron Arizona Forum' started by Gridiron Arizona, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Gridiron Arizona

Gridiron Arizona Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Each week, I make the trek out to a school in the Metro Phoenix area to watch, tweet, take photos, and report on a game involving 6A or 5A teams.

Last week, I was at Liberty, where the Lions survived a fourth-quarter rally to defeat Boulder Creek, 49-34 to remain unbeaten.

This Friday, I'll be at Perry to see the Pumas (5-2) take on Brophy (6-2).

I've seen Perry play 4 times over the past 2 years, but haven't been to a game at John Wrenn Stadium since 2012. The Pumas are averaging a whopping 50.7 points per game this season and have a balanced offense with junior QB Chubba Purdy (249 yards per game and 23 TDs for the season with just 3 INTs) and senior RB Jalen Young (110 yards per game and averaging 10.9 yards per carry).

Brophy is a team I've seen every year since I've been covering high school football (started in 2009) except for last year, when the Broncos went 1-9. Well, Brophy is back this year and I'm back to check out new head coach Jon Kitna's squad. Before last week's loss against Chandler (56-7), BCP was allowing just 9 points per contest. Brophy's defense has made headlines as the team has 18 sacks (led by senior LB Will Broucek with 5.5) and intercepted 20 passes (led by junior Michael Diaz with 5).

It will certainly take forcing some turnovers to slow down the Perry machine. Is Brophy up to the task? We'll find out Friday night in the Southeast Valley.