Where in the Valley is Gridiron going? - Week 8

Discussion in 'The Gridiron Arizona Forum' started by Gridiron Arizona, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Gridiron Arizona

Gridiron Arizona Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Each week, I make the trek out to a school in the Metro Phoenix area to watch, tweet, take photos, and report on a game involving 6A or 5A teams.

Last week, I was at Red Mountain, where the Lions forced three turnovers down the stretch to top Skyline, 28-14.

This Friday, I'll be in Peoria for the 6A Desert Valley Region game between Boulder Creek and Liberty. I last saw BC in 2015 (ironically, at Liberty in an exciting 38-35 win by the Lions). Last year, Liberty was the best team I didn't see. I won't be making that mistake again in 2018.

Boulder Creek (3-3) enters this game following a big upset win at home over Chaparral (47-43). In the victory over the Firebirds, BC had 521 yards of offense. The passing game was highlighted by senior Caden Austin (21-of-33 for 313 yards & 2 TDs) to Hendrix Johnson (10 catches, 160 yards, 1 TD). On the ground, senior Lamar Beard rushed for 156 yards on just 17 carries (9.2 ypc) and 2 touchdowns. The Jaguars are averaging 28.5 points and have posted 79 points in the past 2 games.

That offense will be tested by Liberty (6-0), who is the lone unbeaten in the 6A Conference. The Lions kept it going last week with a road win at Mountain Ridge. That one was over early as LHS pounced with the first 35 points of the game (all in the first quarter) in a 56-20 win. Liberty limited the Mountain Ridge run game to just 39 yards on 25 carries (1.6 yards per carry). Offensively, QB Jonah Guevara was near perfect, going 11-of-12 for 267 yards and 3 TDs. The junior also rushed for a pair of touchdowns. Senior Cameron Ellis caught 4 passes for 124 yards and 2 scores. Ellis also intercepted a pass. On defense, LHS has Cal commits Braxten Croteau (DE) and Ryan Puskas (S), who I last saw as sophomores in 2016.

This is a big opportunity for Boulder Creek to make a statement that it's a playoff team. The Jaguars enter this one ranked #18 in the AIA power point rankings. A win over Liberty (#2) would vault it up. Liberty is undefeated, and knows how to win the close games. Half of its six wins have come by a touchdown or less. This one will likely come down to how effective the BC pass game will be. Last week, Mountain Ridge had success in the air (301 yards), and launched it up 51 times. If the Austin keeps finding Johnson, this one will turn into another track meet. They just need to be ready to go from the start, because the Lions were last week.