Where in the Valley is Gridiron going? - Week 7

Discussion in 'The Gridiron Arizona Forum' started by Gridiron Arizona, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Gridiron Arizona

Gridiron Arizona Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Each week, I make the trek out to a school in the Metro Phoenix area to watch, tweet, take photos, and report on a game involving 6A or 5A teams.

Last week, I was at Perry, where the Pumas had their offense rolling (and Boulder Creek wasn't far behind) in a 59-43 win over the Jaguars.

This Friday, I'll be out at McClintock to see the Chargers play at home for the first time since 2012 (I did see a semifinal playoff game there in '17 and watched MHS on the road last year). McClintock will play host to Notre Dame Prep. Last year, the Saints put the hammer down on the Chargers, 52-19 as senior Jake Farrell threw 5 touchdown passes.

Notre Dame (6-0) found itself named in the initial Open rankings at No. 6. The Saints have scored at least 35 points in every game this year and topped that last week in a 49-6 victory over Cactus Shadows. In the victory, senior running back Dominick Mastro had 122 yards and three touchdowns. He has scored 9 TDs this season and gone over the 100-yard mark in five straight. So far in this 2020 class, 42 players have committed to colleges. Four of them are NDP players, so it's a chance to see LB Connor Butt (Army), DT Spencer Roy (Army), LB Brock Locnikar (Harvard), and OT Cade Bennett (Oklahoma State) before they play on Saturdays.

McClintock (4-2) got back in the win column last week with a 21-7 victory over Desert Mountain. The Chargers are ranked No. 13 in the 5A Conference (with the top 3 teams currently in a position to go on to the Open), so an upset victory would likely lead to a home playoff game. Just making the postseason would be a big deal because the last time that happened for McClintock was in 2009. In the victory over the Wolves, senior QB Xavier Benitez had 2 TD passes and Jaden Mason rushed for the other one. Mason, a junior, had 199 yards of total offense (93 rush, 106 pass) and has been the centerpoint of the Charger attack. Through six games, he's at 586 rushing yards (98/game) and has scored 12 touchdowns (including both passing ones from Benitez last week). On defense, linebacker David Cisneros had 4 sacks and a forced fumble against DMHS.

Notre Dame has won 31 consecutive regular season games and the Saints are 32-2 under head coach George Prelock. The Saints can't afford to let up if they want to make the first Open Division playoff and they can't look ahead to next week's showdown with Horizon. The Chargers have held their opponent to 14 or fewer points in all four of their wins. Will NDP avoid the trap? Check out Arizona Varsity on Saturday morning for the recap.