Where in the Valley is Gridiron going? - Week 6

Discussion in 'The Gridiron Arizona Forum' started by Gridiron Arizona, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Gridiron Arizona

Gridiron Arizona Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Each week, I make the trek out to a school in the Metro Phoenix area to watch, tweet, take photos, and report on a game involving 6A or 5A teams.

Last week, I was at Highland as the Hawks were the first to defeat Basha this season. The Bears clearly missed injured QB Gabe Friend as they suffered a 40-7 loss.

This Friday, it's back to Gilbert as I check in on the Perry Pumas, who have made the last two 6A finals. Perry is hosting Boulder Creek, which has been improving on defense this year.

Boulder Creek (3-1) gave up 141 points through its first 4 games last year (and 472 overall). This season, the Jaguars have allowed 80, with just 17 total in the last two weeks (both wins). In a 14-7 victory over O'Connor last week, BC shut the Eagles out in the last three quarters and gave up just 151 yards of total offense (minus-2 rushing). Senior linebacker Josh Van Gysel had 12 tackles and 4 TFL. He's had double-digit tackles three times this year. Conner Lewis, a lockdown senior corner who amazingly doesn't have any offers yet, has been doing double duty this year as a wide receiver. Lewis had 150 yards and a TD against SDO and has scored 5 TDs this year. Voters in the media poll haven't given the Jags any votes yet this season, but an upset victory here would certainly open some eyes.

Perry (3-2) was in the headlines last week as Puma head coach Preston Jones suspended more than 30 players due to a violation of a team policy rule. Those players missed a loss to Cesar Chavez (35-27) and are expected to be back for this one. Prior to last week, Perry had scored 160 points during a 3-game winning streak. Even if you factor out the 29 points scored in the 4 OT game against Red Mountain (which very much counted in the standings), the Pumas averaged 43.7 points. Louisville commit Chubba Purdy brings an excitement to the offense not seen anywhere else in the state. Purdy has 12 TD passes in 4 games along with 1,273 yards. But that's not all. The dual-threat has eight rushing touchdowns this season. Senior receiver Jorden Young has been Purdy's primary target with 25 catches for 414 yards. We mentioned Lewis earlier, and Young is also under-recruited holding offers from Rocky Mountain and Sioux Falls. Looking forward to seeing that head-to-head matchup between Lewis and Young when PHS has the ball.

Next week, Perry goes to Chandler for a rematch with the Wolves. After the events of last week, I can't imagine the Pumas get caught looking ahead. Last year, the Pumas jumped out to a 31-6 halftime lead and rocked the Jaguars, 66-32. In that game, Jalen Young and Jaden Burns combined for 426 rushing yards....but they were both seniors. Can BC clamp down on defense once again, or will the Puma players be out to prove something this week? Check back Saturday morning for the game recap.