Where in the Valley is Gridiron going? - Week 6

Discussion in 'The Gridiron Arizona Forum' started by Gridiron Arizona, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Gridiron Arizona

Gridiron Arizona Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Each week, I make the trek out to a school in the Metro Phoenix area to watch, tweet, take photos, and report on a game involving 6A or 5A teams.

Last week, I was at a great game between Saguaro and Chaparral. The Sabercats prevailed 45-37 as the rivalry was renewed.

This Friday, I'll check in on the 2-time defending champion Chandler Wolves as they play in East Mesa at Desert Ridge. CHS has won 8 straight playoff games. The last team to defeat the Wolves in the postseason? That would be DRHS in the 2015 semifinals.

Chandler (3-1) has defeated its 2 Arizona foes by a 111-21 count. The Wolves were off last week after winning their last contest in Las Vegas against Faith Lutheran on Sept. 8. Jacob Conover leads the offense and is averaging 231 passing yards a game with 11 TDs. DeCarlos Brooks has added six rushing scores. I'm also excited to see Gunner Maldonado, the first 2-way player in the Shaun Aguano era. The junior safety/wide receiver has 2 TD catches in each of the last 3 games. All 5 of the voters in the Arizona Varsity poll have Chandler as the No. 1 team in 6A.

Desert Ridge (3-2) defeated Corona del Sol last week, 21-7. The Jaguars limited the Aztecs' normally productive passing game to just 8-of-24 completions for 44 yards. ASU-commit Ricky Pearsall had only 3 catches for 9 yards. Offensively, Dominic Salazar had a game-high rushing 132 yards and a touchdown. Lucas Wright leads Desert Ridge in rushing for the season with 572 yards and 7 touchdowns. This season, the Jags have ran the football on 77 percent of their plays from scrimmage. I would imagine they'll try to sustain long drives and shorten the game by taking time off the clock for as long as they can stay in it.

Next week, Chandler faces Perry (4-1) in a rematch of last December's state championship. Will the Wolves get caught looking ahead? Desert Ridge is normally competitive in games, and lost a 7-point game late to Liberty this year. In the last 10 years, DRHS has only lost 8 games by more than 15 points. We'll see if they can keep up with the high-octane Wolves soon.