Where in the Valley is Gridiron going? - Week 5

Discussion in 'The Gridiron Arizona Forum' started by Gridiron Arizona, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Gridiron Arizona

Gridiron Arizona Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Each week, I make the trek out to a school in the Metro Phoenix area to watch, tweet, take photos, and report on a game involving 6A or 5A teams.

Last week, I was way out West as Valley Vista dropped a 41-7 decision to Desert Vista. The game was closer than the score indicated, but still, each game I've been to this season has been decided by more than 21 points.

This week, I go to the top 6A game in the state as Basha travels to Gilbert to face Highland. Like last year, the Bears go in with a 4-0 record. In 2018, it was Highland ending that run at perfection by a 20-0 score.

Basha (4-0) has been dialing up the offense to the tune of 44.8 ppg. I did a feature on the team towards the end of the summer and am looking forward to seeing the Bears in person for the first time since 2016. Senior QB Gabe Friend has 14 TD passes and is already over the 1,000-yard mark. Like Nick Arvay, Lucas Arnds, Niko Haen, and Parker Navarro (all of whom I've seen in person this season), Friend is an underrated passer. One note: He did leave last week's game with a knee injury, so I'll have to see in pregame if he's good to go. Six different players have caught TD passes for BHS with seniors Zion Williams and Camden Mateen leading the way. National cornerback recruit Micah Harper has been getting some carries in the backfield (59-yard rushing TD last week). Speaking of two-way players, Williams also sees time in the secondary and has picked off 2 passes.

Highland (3-1) is just a yard away from being undefeated. A last-second run was stopped short at Hamilton in Week 2. It was heartbreak the last time I saw the Hawks in the memorable 6A semifinal last November against Chandler, when the Wolves converted a 2-point play in overtime. Highland has reloaded with many new players this season, including sophomore QB Gage Dayley. I'll hold off giving season stats here as the numbers from the 61-0 shutout of Skyline last Friday haven't been posted yet. Hopefully they'll be up by Thursday night (hint-hint). The Hawks are averaging 46.5 ppg and allowed 31 of their 41 total points this season in the loss to the Huskies. It's a balanced offense with the 2-back attack of Daniel Wood and Max Davis. Junior kicker Jackson Ray has already hit a 45-yard field goal this season. I saw Farrel's Fanatics fill up auxiliary bleachers in the playoff game last year and I have no doubt what many believe to be the top student section in the state will be at full force.

Two offenses averaging more than 40 points per game, we couldn't possibly have another game with 20 total points in it, could we? Check out Arizona Varsity on Saturday morning to get the details.