Where in the Valley is Gridiron going? - Week 5

Discussion in 'The Gridiron Arizona Forum' started by Gridiron Arizona, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Gridiron Arizona

Gridiron Arizona Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Each week, I make the trek out to a school in the Metro Phoenix area to watch, tweet, take photos, and report on a game involving 6A or 5A teams.

Last week, I was at a great game between 2 Northeast Phoenix schools as Paradise Valley rallied to defeat Shadow Mountain, 34-31.

This week, I make it 3 straight rivalry games as Chaparral visits Saguaro in a renewal of what was once the most intense matchups in the state. This will be the first meeting between the 2 Scottsdale schools since 2014 (a 41-14 Saguaro win).

Chaparral (3-0) made the move up to 6A this year under new head coach Brent Barnes and the Firebirds have dialed up the offense (41.7 ppg). This will be my first look at junior QB Jack Miller, one of 2 Chaparral players committed to Ohio State. Last year, I saw the Firebirds in their second game (a win over Horizon) during which Miller was forced to sit out while the AIA figured out his status following his transfer from Scottsdale Christian. Chaparral was off last week following a 54-14 win over La Joya. In that game, the 'Birds sacked the QB 6 times with 2 coming from Jaxon Richards. Darvon Hubbard (the other OSU commit) has rushed for 387 yards and 5 TDs this season (129 yards/game).

Saguaro (3-1) still competes in the 4A Conference and the Sabercats' lone defeat came against Liberty HS out of Nevada. The Sabercats have beaten 37 consecutive teams from Arizona (last loss was Sept. 4 of 2015 against Pinnacle). Saguaro is rich with talent in both its junior and senior classes. In all, 19 Sabercat players currently hold Division I offers. The Sabercats are averaging 36.8 points per game and have defeated their 2 in-state opponents by 45 and 31 points. Last week against Desert Mountain, QB Tyler Beverett threw 5 TD passes with 2 apiece to Matt Polk and Will Shaffer. On the ground, Israel Benjamin rushed for 183 yards and 2 scores on just 13 carries.

This will be my first look at Saguaro since the last time the Sabercats played a 5A or 6A opponent within the state of Arizona (with the exception of last week against DM). That was the championship game down in Tucson in 2015 when SHS won the Division II title game over Marcos de Niza. It will also be my first trip to the school on Hayden Road which opened in 1966. When the schedule came out, many looked forward to the return of the rivalry. Will it live up to the billing? We'll soon find out.

1 Gridiron Arizona, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Jacknshea96 likes this.
  2. Ralph Amsden

Ralph Amsden Publisher
    Staff
    Expand Collapse

Looks like the whole crew wil be there!

Jacknshea96 and Gridiron Arizona like this.
  3. ChillyASU

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Season debut on the vlog.... what time you gonna be up there???

Gridiron Arizona likes this.
  4. MomKay

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

Ayyyeee!!! Y'all all will be there?!? It's a party!! #SagU

Gridiron Arizona likes this.
  5. Gridiron Arizona

Gridiron Arizona Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Hoping to get there no later than 6. Gonna fill up fast.