Where in the Valley is Gridiron going? - Week 4

Discussion in 'The Gridiron Arizona Forum' started by Gridiron Arizona, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Gridiron Arizona

Gridiron Arizona Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Each week, I make the trek out to a school in the Metro Phoenix area to watch, tweet, take photos, and report on a game involving 6A or 5A teams.

Last week, I got a look at Sunnyslope senior QB Niko Haen, who led the Vikings to a 38-10 victory over visiting Cienega.

This week, I take my first trip of the season to the West Valley for a game in Surprise between Vista teams with weather mascots. Desert Vista travels up from Ahwatukee to play Valley Vista.

These schools met for the first time last season as Desert Vista won at home, 48-20.

Desert Vista (1-1) is coming off a bye week. The week prior, the Thunder took Notre Dame (Sherman Oaks, CA) to the wire in a 37-35 loss. Notre Dame is ranked No. 139 nationally by MaxPreps. This will be the first game against an Arizona team for DVHS this season. Desert Vista has scored 79 points in its 2 games and have a balanced offense with at least 220 yards both rushing and passing. Senior QB Parker Navarro is one of the more underrated signal callers in the state and he already has 6 TD passes. Navarro also leads the team in rushing with the Grubbs brothers (Tyson and Devon) close behind. Elijah Ervin is the Thunder's top receiver with a pair of 100-yard games. Ervin has also grabbed 2 TD catches in each. Desert Vista is also considered "Ocho" material as all five of the staff at Arizona Varsity project the team to make the new Open playoffs with a seeding between 4 and 6.

Valley Vista (2-0) started its year off with a pair of victories over Westwood and Trevor Browne, scoring more than 42 points in each. The strength of schedule ramps up here against Desert Vista, though and the Monsoon should be up for the challenge at home. The offense for VVHS has also been balanced with the team putting up at least 235 yards both rushing and passing per game. Junior QB Burton Delay is almost at 500 yards passing and has 4 TD throws. Those have been caught by juniors as well with Tyson Givens and Liam Kelleher giving Valley Vista fans hope for beyond this season. It's a shared RB combo with Yazid Tyler and Henry Brown, who have combined for 7 TDs and each has a 100-yard game this year. On defense, DE Daryon Lee has 4 sacks, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery, and a blocked punt this season. Valley Vista has missed the playoffs the past two seasons and is looking for a return to the postseason. Those won't be dampened by a loss as the team would have to quickly look beyond that for Willow Week (Sept. 20). The Monsoon have another non-region challenge with Pinnacle at the end of September.

The last time I went to a game at Valley Vista was in 2014 and it was the first time the Monsoon defeated an East Valley power (Mountain View). A win over Desert Vista? Let's just say it would be the biggest victory in school history.

Check Arizona Varsity Saturday morning for a complete rundown of the Thunder and the Monsoon!