Where in the Valley is Gridiron going? - Week 4

Discussion in 'The Gridiron Arizona Forum' started by Gridiron Arizona, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Gridiron Arizona

Gridiron Arizona Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Each week, I make the trek out to a school in the Metro Phoenix area to watch, tweet, take photos, and report on a game involving 6A or 5A teams.

Last week, I got my first look at the McClintock-Tempe rivalry as the visiting Chargers defeated THS, 21-7.

This week, I stay closer to my neighborhood for a rivalry game between Paradise Valley District schools as Shadow Mountain visits Paradise Valley.

These schools first played one another in 1976. I attended last year's game (a PV win, 27-19).

Shadow Mountain (1-1) rushed for 313 yards in its season-opening win over North Canyon (no offensive stats posted from Game 2). Senior Ronnie Fagan had 231 of those. The Matadors were off last week following a 20-7 loss to Bradshaw Mountain on Aug. 24. SMHS was particularly tough against the pass vs. the Bears as they were just 1-of-9 passing for 10 yards. In addition to limiting Bradshaw to just one completion, the Matadors intercepted 2 passes. Last weekend, DB/WR Jalen Williams took advantage of Shadow Mountain's bye and went on his first official visit to Iowa State. The Cyclones like the 6-2, 180-pounder as a safety.

Paradise Valley (2-0) started its season with a pair of victories over Phoenix Union District teams (Central & South Mountain). The Trojans list just 22 players on their varsity roster. Paradise Valley aired it out against the Jaguars last week as junior QB Ben Finley attempted 53 passes. He threw for 263 yards and had a pair of touchdowns. The 6-2, 185-pound signal caller also holds an offer from Iowa State (in addition to Nevada and Colorado State). Tristin Lee was on the receiving end of both TD passes and finished the game last week with 10 catches for 156 yards.

My stat sheet only holds 40 passing attempts. Will I have to go to the backup page at some point in the second half? We shall see.