Where in the Valley is Gridiron going? - Week 3

Discussion in 'The Gridiron Arizona Forum' started by Gridiron Arizona, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Gridiron Arizona

Gridiron Arizona Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Each week, I make the trek out to a school in the Metro Phoenix area to watch, tweet, take photos, and report on a game involving 6A or 5A teams.

Last week, I got my first look at Casteel and its high-powered offense which scored touchdowns on 8 of its 10 possessions in a 60-24 thrashing of Apollo.

This week, I head to Tempe for a rivalry that dates back to 1966 as McClintock takes the short trip to Tempe High to face the Buffaloes.

1966 was McClintock's first year as an AIA member. The Chargers and Buffs met every year from '66 to 1994. After a few years apart when they were in different conferences, the MHS-THS game was on again from 2001 to 2015. Friday's meeting will be the first since 2015.

McClintock (1-1) is coached by Corbin Smith, who took over in 2017. Prior to his arrival, the Chargers were 8-22 over the previous three seasons. In just over a season, MHS is 7-5. That includes a victory last week against Marcos de Niza, a team that was ranked No. 6 in 4A in last week's Arizona Varsity poll. Defensively, sophomore Mathias Sanders has an interception in each of the Chargers' games this year.

Tempe is listed on just one ballot (mine) in this week's Arizona Varsity poll. Hey Chilly, check it out, I'm giving the 4A some love this week! The Buffaloes opened their season last week in Apache Junction with a 23-6 win. Weather delays were prominent as the game didn't end until almost 11:00 and there was standing water on the field in the second half. That win equaled Tempe's total in the entire 2017 season (1-9). This will be my first visit to see head coach Brian Walker (now in his 10th year). Last week, senior Amaru Johnson had four sacks and the Buffaloes intercepted 4 passes.

Needless to say, I don't think I will be seeing 84 points on the board this Friday. Check back on Saturday morning to see how this Tempe Tangle goes!