Where in the Valley is Gridiron going? - Week 2

Discussion in 'The Gridiron Arizona Forum' started by Gridiron Arizona, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Gridiron Arizona

Gridiron Arizona Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Each week, I make the trek out to a school in the Metro Phoenix area to watch, tweet, take photos, and report on a game involving 6A or 5A teams.

Last week, a halftime rout got interesting as Fairfax battled back before dropping a 41-32 game to Notre Dame.

This week, I stay in the 5A and go back to the West Valley. The site is Glendale as the Apollo Hawks play host to the Casteel Colts.

Casteel had all of the spotlight on in its 5A debut last week against Centennial. The Coyotes built up a huge lead before the Colts got some offense going in the fourth quarter. How will Casteel respond from this? It's a group that has gone 31-3 over the past three years (2015 was a freshman team). It will be my first chance to see the combination of Gunner Cruz and Khyheem Waleed. Waleed is not Cruz's only receiver either. Zach Nelson had a strong game against Centennial. There was perhaps no team with more curiosity heading into the year than Casteel. Many feel the Colts will get another shot at Centennial down the road. In order to get that, CHS must show it is a playoff-caliber team in 5A. This game give it a chance to do just that.

Apollo upset a Desert Mountain team that was ranked in the Arizona Varsity preseason poll. The Hawks (who won 48-41), were led by running back Ali Mohamed (256 yards on 34 carries with 5 total touchdowns). Those familiar with the Apollo program know that Mohamed rushed for 1,530 yards and 22 TDs in 2017, so his opening night performance was no fluke. As a matter of fact, it wasn't even his career high. Last year in a win over Mesquite, the senior back had 280 yards on the ground. The Hawks also return QB Frank Sanchez, but I have no other stats from last Friday as neither Apollo nor Casteel have posted their numbers in MaxPreps yet. Also, I haven't found any media recap of the Desert Mountain-Apollo game, so perhaps it wasn't covered. We got ya this week, Hawks! It's been six years since my last trip to AHS and the Hawks have earned it with a 9-3 record in their last 12 games.

Check back on Saturday morning to see if Apollo keeps it going at 2-0 or if Casteel can register its first 5A win!

2. Ralph Amsden

Ralph Amsden Publisher
    Staff
    Expand Collapse

Great stuff Chris!

I'll be stopping by Dobson to take some photos of the Mustangs and Salpointe Catholic Lancers before heading over to Chandler to see the Wolves take on Queen Creek.

Cody Cameron will be at Mountain Pointe/Pinnacle, while Chilly takes the sideline vlog to Highland to see the Hawks take on Hamilton.

I'll be in Flagstaff on Saturday to watch all or part of 5 different games at NAU and Coconino High. Chilly and Cody will be joining me to see Horizon take on Higley at 7pm.