Where in the Valley is Gridiron going? - Week 11

Discussion in 'The Gridiron Arizona Forum' started by Gridiron Arizona, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Gridiron Arizona

Gridiron Arizona Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Each week, I make the trek out to a school in the Metro Phoenix area to watch, tweet, take photos, and report on a game involving 6A or 5A teams.

Last week, I was at South Mountain, where the Jaguars scored early and often in a 64-28 win over Carl Hayden to take the 5A Metro Region.

This Friday, I take a break from the Open Division standings and focus on the bottom of the 6A bracket. Mountain View is holding on to the final playoff spot heading into this week and obviously has a must-win at Dobson. That's where I'll be going.

Mountain View (4-5) started the season at 1-4, but has got its footing back in East Valley Region play. Following a loss to Red Mountain in Week 9, the Toros have no margin for error and pounded Skyline last week, 49-0. Brandon Nieto has back-to-back 300-yard passing games and has 18 TD passes with just three interceptions. Nieto has a pair of fellow senior teammates that don't want this to be their last game. Receivers Cash Clark and Ethan Davidson each have over 600 yards and have combined for 13 TD catches. On defense, sophomore Malaki Ta'ase has 7 sacks this year. The Toros, in their 4th year under Mike Fell, missed the playoffs last year and haven't won a postseason game since 2009 (Maryvale).

Dobson (3-6) is looking to play spoiler on its Senior Night. The Mustangs are currently 24th in the 5A standings (after Open teams are discarded). The record would have been better but for close losses to Mesa (10-6) and Skyline (30-28). Last week, it was a long road trip to Yuma, but DHS defeated Kofa, 54-0. Junior QB Damian Duarte had his best game of the season last week with 296 yards and 3 TDs. He is also a threat to take off and run it (698 yards and 7 TDs this season). Michael Gundersdorf had a big game against Kofa with 111 yards and 2 TDs on just four catches. Xavier Jimenez leads the Mustangs in scoring with 9 TDs. He has 4 receiving, 2 rushing, 1 on a fumble return, and a pair of punt returns.

A win doesn't guarantee Mountain View of a playoff spot. The Toros could get jumped by Corona del Sol (#17, plays Mountain Pointe), O'Connor (#20, plays Mountain Ridge), or Westview (#21, plays Valley Vista). Each of those teams trail the Toros, but have stronger opponents than Dobson. So, even after the game, we'll have to wait until Saturday morning to see if Mountain View is in the field.

Unless Dobson spoils it all......

Check back on Saturday morning for a game recap and again on Saturday afternoon to see the entire list of playoff matchups in the 6A, 5A, and the new Open.