Where in the Valley is Gridiron going? - Quarterfinals

Discussion in 'The Gridiron Arizona Forum' started by Gridiron Arizona, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Gridiron Arizona

Gridiron Arizona Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Each week, I make the trek out to a school in the Metro Phoenix area to watch, tweet, take photos, and report on a game involving 6A or 5A teams.

Last week, I was at Sunrise Mountain as the Mustangs defeated Campo Verde, 38-24 behind a tremendous effort from QB Keegan Freid.

This Friday, the playoffs resume and I'll be getting my first look at what has been a dominating defense at Centennial. The #8 Cienega Bobcats will be making the 150-mile drive northwest for the second time this year. The first didn't go so well on Sept. 7 as the Coyotes chalked up the first of 5 shutouts this season, 35-0.

Cienega (9-2) averages 36 points per game this year, despite the blanking at CeHS. Last week, the Bobcats threw just four passes in a 49-28 win over Marana. Terrell Hayward had more than 8 carries for the first time in his career (he normally plays WR, DB, and KR also). The talented senior, who has 10 offers including Air Force, Army, New Mexico, and New Mexico State, had 306 yards on 23 carries with three touchdowns. Thomas Webb, Jr. also rushed for 3 TDs and caught a fourth one. This is the third straight year that CHS is in the quarterfinals. They won in this round the previous two times, but were eliminated in the semis by Centennial in 2016 (56-21).

Centennial (11-0) has allowed just 58 points all season. You can't overlook the Coyotes' offense (41.9 ppg) either. Junior QB Jonathan Morris has 17 TD passes and 1,803 yards. With another lopsided result last week (49-10 over Sunnyslope), head coach Richard Taylor got a lot of bodies in there. Nine different players had carries and seven different players caught passes for CeHS. Defensively, senior LB Dylan Wampler leads in tackles with 83. Linebacker Marquis Walker registered his 7th sack last week. Since the Aug. 31 victory over Bishop Gorman (NV), no team has come within 25 points of Centennial.

How much has Centennial owned this round? The Coyotes are 13-1 in the quarterfinals over the last 14 seasons. A win would advance them to the semis for the 5th straight year. Many are expecting another round of domination. Can Cienega HC Pat Nugent find something different to do offensively that might work against the Coyotes? In the first meeting Centennial outgained the Bobcats 389-87.

But upsets have happened in the playoffs before as Marcos de Niza (2009) and Deer Valley (2013) pulled shockers against Centennial. It's not a 7-game series where you have to win four. It's one game. 48 minutes. Cienega has earned another shot. I'll be watching to see what they do with it.