ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 - Where I'm going. . . .

Gridiron Arizona

Aug 19, 2015
Don't know if anyone is looking at the message boards as we haven't updated them since the end of the coaching carousel (which extended into May). Figured I'd let people know where I'm headed each Friday. Feel free to chime in with what game you'll be watching this week as well!

It's been 9 years since I've seen a game at T-Town. That would be Tolleson Union HS and that streak ends this Friday when I see the season opener between the Wolverines and Mountain Ridge. It's a winnable game for both programs.

Both teams were 3-7, but improved as the year went on as each won 2 of its last 3 games. Mountain Ridge has a new head coach as Andrew Johnson was among the last hires in this cycle. Former HC Gavin Lutman left the last week of April for a college coaching position at Western New Mexico. He was replaced by former Saguaro offensive coordinator Andrew Johnson a month later. Johnson has had limited time with only a partial offseason, but has built programs before, at the youth level for the powerful Scottsdale Argonauts. Junior Lucas Baughman looks to be the QB. He started a game against Queen Creek and saw action the first half of the year in 2023 before having it cut short.

For Tolleson, it's a chance for me to see Rico Blassingame in a varsity game for the first time. The 6-3, 180-pound junior receiver is a major prospect and holds 16 offers (12 from Power Four programs). There have been a lot of departures from the Wolverines since 7's season ended in June. We don't know who will be getting the ball to Blassingame yet, or who some of the other pass-catchers will be, but this is a chance to find that out. Tolleson returns leading rusher Tyeshon Howard as well (6.5 yards/carry).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.