Coley quits, going to be the TE coach at aTm.

Discussion in 'ArizonaSportscast' started by GwinnettDawg, Jan 24, 2020.

1. GwinnettDawg

GwinnettDawg Two Star Poster
    Expand Collapse

2. ZosoDawg

ZosoDawg Two Star Poster
    Expand Collapse

associate head coach to TE coach at tamu. Sounds like he was allowed to”resign”

BamaFan1137 likes this.
  3. BamaFan1137

BamaFan1137 Four Star Poster
    Expand Collapse

He was awful. I like Kirby but I'm also not sure that it was all on Coley.

alphatiger08 likes this.
  4. ZosoDawg

ZosoDawg Two Star Poster
    Expand Collapse

Kirbys mistake, imo, was hiring a staff full of excellent recruiters that had some average coaching ability. Coley was nothing but a mediocre coach at best, but an excellent recruiter. I think Kirby has checked his ego and realized that it is great to have a team full of 5*’s, but you still have to coach them up.

GwinnettDawg likes this.
  5. BamaFan1137

Expand Collapse

Agree with all of that. I also think that Kirby is overly conservative on O while being super aggressive on D. I agree with him that an aggressive D is the right approach but he must be at least moderately aggressive on O as well to take the next step.

ZosoDawg likes this.
  6. alphatiger08

alphatiger08 Two Star Poster
    Expand Collapse

Agreed. As I’ve said for a while, he’s following the Saban model from his first 6-7 years at Alabama. Build your team around a shut down D and an offense built around a solid oline, running game, and a qb that doesn’t turn the ball over. Saban eventually evolved as the game changed.

I think this is an interesting year for uga. Uga has put together 3-4 awesome recruiting classes based around touting his experience under Saban, his early success, and selling recruits on what he was building toward while filling the system with “his players.” Eventually, recruits are going to start expecting championships in order for uga to keep recruiting consistently at such a high level. Kirby has excellent recruiters on staff, but they will start losing SOME of these battles they’ve been winning unless they start bringing in hardware.

Coley wasn’t all that great, but this new guy is somewhat of an unknown. You’ll have a new qb, 4 new olinemen, and play Alabama on the road early. There are three potential losses (realistic), and always a chance for another usce type upset. If they have 3-4 losses, I’d imagine they’ll have a lot of trouble staying in top 5 in recruiting every year like they’ve been...

ZosoDawg likes this.
  7. BamaFan1137

Expand Collapse

Kirby is a defensive savant. Moreover, he gets even more out of those guys than just their ample talent. He is aggressive and his defenses feed off of that. In case I'm being reticent (lol), let me be clear...I'm a fan.

If he can apply some of that magic towards his offense, the sky is the limit. If not then his teams will be very good instead of great more times than not. Will that eventually catch up to him recruiting wise? Perhaps to some degree but the state of Georgia is freaking loaded every year so he'll get his. The more likely issue would be personal relationship failures with AD's, presidents and boosters if his teams have Richt-ish type results.

People can hype up Dabo as Saban's eventual successor all they like (I don't think it's likely in any event), I'd rather have Kirby but he would need to adjust his calculus on offense.

8. ZosoDawg

ZosoDawg Two Star Poster
    Expand Collapse

100% agree. I envision an entirely different offense this season

9. Bill_D

Bill_D Three Star Poster
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like you are describing Les Miles.

10. derek_tiger

derek_tiger Two Star Poster
    Expand Collapse